Birmingham Regional Intermodal Facility
- Installed nearly 70,000 track feet of rail
RailWorks installed nearly 70,000 track feet of rail in this strategically important intermodal facility for Norfolk Southern in Alabama.
RailWorks Track Systems constructed the track infrastructure at Norfolk Southern’s regional intermodal yard located on a 316-acre site near Birmingham, Ala.
Crews installed nearly 70,000 track feet of rail and 11 steel and two wood switches beginning in May 2011, comprised of these segments:
- four storage tracks with a combined track length of about 20,000 feet
- two loading/unloading work tracks totaling nearly 3 miles
- a 7,000-foot lead track connecting to NS’ main line on the north
- a 5,800-foot lead track connecting to NS’ main line on the south
- a 20,900-foot passing track on the west side of the main line.
NS officially opened this facility on October 17, 2012.
This project is part of the $2.5 billion Crescent Corridor undertaking by NS covering 2,500 miles of territory where significant volumes freight have not historically moved by rail. The project is part of NS’ strategic initiative to establish a high-capacity intermodal freight route in the "Crescent Corridor" between the Gulf Coast and the Northeast.