The Northeast Corridor (NEC) is a vital rail route on the East Coast connecting major cities including Washington, D.C., Baltimore, Philadelphia, New York, and Boston. The NEC has been operational since 1873, and the Baltimore & Potomac (B&P) Tunnel is critical to the NEC’s infrastructure.
From July 2020 to Nov. 2020, RailWorks Track Services rehabilitated tracks 2 and 3 within the 1.4-mile tunnel, working to improve operations and efficiency. During weekend and single-track outages, RailWorks:
- Demolished 5,500 feet of existing track 2-4” below tie;
- Removed debris with specialty-designed conveyer hopper in dump trucks;
- Replaced existing track with track panels;
- Leveled with gauge support fixtures;
- Examined surface with LiDAR Survey;
- Disposed of containment soils;
- Rehabilitated 5,500 feet of embedded track.