- Constructed 16,300 feet of new track
- Work performed in tight work windows
- Required extensive planning and coordination
Southeastern Pennsylvania Transit Authority (SEPTA)
West Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
The Market Street Reconstruction project included reconstructing five existing stations and the adjoining track.
RailWorks removed and reconstructed the direct-fixation track, contact rail and ballasted track for the Guideway and Cobbs Creek Completion portions of the Market Street project.
- Guideway Project - RailWorks removed the existing track and installed 12,000 linear feet of new direct fixation track and contact rail and two direct fixation #8 double crossovers.
- Cobbs Creek Completion Project - RailWorks installed 2,100 linear feet of direct fixation track and contact rail and removed and renewed 2,200 linear feet of ballasted track and contact rail.
All work was performed during weekend track outages and during intermittent nine- and 16-day work windows. To maximize productivity during the tight work windows, the project required intensive planning and scheduling, with close coordination between the general contractor, subcontractors and work crews. During the outages, RailWorks crews removed all existing track and contact rail. Subcontractors demolished the whole structure and then set the decks follow them. RailWorks followed up with installation of the new track infrastructure.